الأربعاء، أبريل ٠٥، ٢٠٠٦

Feed my sheep

15So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
Matthew 21:15-17


My regular blog friends may be wondering why I am posting after indicating that I’ll be awayforr a few days. Well guys, I didn't want the occasion of the passing of Pope John Paul II to pass quietly on this blog! So I just wanted to pay tribute to a great man, chosen by God to guard His flock.

Pope John Paul II inspires so many wonderful feelings of respect, awe and love in me. He, like my Coptic Orthodox pope Shenouda III, has placed great importance on the
youth of the church. Pope John Paul also worked hard towards church unity, something so close to the hearts of many Christians around the world. Not to mention his compassion for the poor and oppressed, and his affirmation of church doctrine.



But the one thing that clearly showed the world how the love of Jesus Christ can elevate us to higher spiritual grounds, was His Holiness’ forgiveness to the man who shot him. In my humble opinion, that single event demonstrated more than words can say, that it is indeed possible to live by God’s commandments no matter the time or place we live in…or who we are or who we live amongst.

So, while time may pass, Your Holiness will always be in the thoughts and prayers of those you shepherded…whether Catholics or not. Thank you for setting a fine example of what it takes to guard God’s sheep. Thank you for showing the world what it means to live Christianity, not just to be Christian.

11 Comments:

Blogger DavidNic said...

Amen.

أبريل ٠٦, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger xavier said...

Bent:
Ditto. As the other Catholic, we're humbled that you too were moved by his ministry. Great to know Copts loved him and miss him a lot too

xavier

أبريل ٠٦, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger Addai said...

I've got to ask you guys what you think about those prophecies of St. Malachi regarding the Popes? Some Catholics I've met think it's a hoax.

أبريل ٠٦, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger DavidNic said...

The Prophecies are An interesting story. Sometimes I wonder if there is any truth to it. Perhaps St. Malachi means that the end of the church will be the end of the church as he knew it.

Maybe, in a hopeful sense that means the end of a divided church. But the prophecies are a bit too end of the world for that.

Alot of his words are correct in describing the popes to come, but how much of that is a case of if you look hard enough you can identify anyone with anything situation.

For those who don't know the prophecies here is a good overview:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm

all in all it does not say how many popes will be between Gloria Olivae (identified as the current pope) and the last pope, Peter Romanus.

I'm not sure if they are true. As I said above, they seem right on in alot of things, but some of that could be our ability to find connections.

أبريل ٠٦, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger Addai said...

I personaly tend to believe them, and I thought even Cardinal Ratzinger did too, and his choosing his Papal seal, and theme was infact based upon them. And since I hear he is one of the big theologians of the Church I would think that would add something to their credibility.

Of course in that in between Popes time, where they were in the process of burying, then choosing a new Pope, I talked to a few Catholics about this. And they brought up some textual criticism type issues. Like I think maybe the prophesies weren't discovered until a few hundred years after that bishop, and maybe the lierary style was different. And they didn't take them seriously.

أبريل ٠٦, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger xavier said...

Ooze:
Like David, I find them interesting but I don't worry too much about them. I worry about more mundane things like am I living up the standards that Jesus commanded and do I witness enough the Gospel.

xavier

أبريل ٠٦, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger maged salamah said...

Bent,
Pope John Paul II was a very peaceful man who helped conquer communism and stood up against oppression and racism. I only wish that he would have lived another 20 years to help end Islam. Having said that, I wish Pope John Paul II would have had more progressive views on reproductive rights. I was not very happy on his attacks on women's rights proponents.

أبريل ٠٧, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger xavier said...

Maged:
Not to worry. Benedict is the right man at the right time. The European bishops will devote this year to study Islam and to prepare the Catholic reponse.
Also Bishop O'Brien who was the Vatican's man for Catholic-Islamic relations was alledgedly demoted when he was made nuncio to Egypt. Within some Vatican circles, there's a growing hardening of attitudes.
Benedict also cused a stir when he pointd out that unlike the bible where God workd through the prohpets, the Koran arrived as is so it's impossible to change
Further, Benedict has told the Moslem ambassadors at the Vaticam that he wants reciprocity. If Moslems cn worhsip in peace, buld mosques even prech Islam in Western countries, Christians should be able to do the same in Moslem countries.
Finally, personally, Benedict will also challenge the imams to engage in theological discussions. Of course the imams will avoid them because Bendict is far more better read than they are.

xavier

أبريل ٠٧, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger maged salamah said...

Xavier,
Good to know that. I agree with you; the new Pope is very assertive. I hope he continues to help convert Muslims as Pope John Paul II did

أبريل ٠٧, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger xavier said...

Maged:
I'm sure that Benedict will also challenge the Moslems at every opportunity. That if they claim to be prt of the Abrahamic faith through Ismael then they'd better start demonstraring the common elements.
The pope as teacher and tehologian won't miss an opportunity for teaching moments

أبريل ٠٨, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger Mohamed said...

Hi Neferteeti,

I hope that you noticed my reply(http://neferteeti.blogspot.com/2006/02/to-peter-mohamed-and-mustafa.html)post.

Thanks,

أبريل ١٠, ٢٠٠٦  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home