الجمعة، أبريل ٢١، ٢٠٠٦

because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many

(Isiah 53:12)

Today is Good Friday in the Coptic church. The church spends the whole day praying and meditating the happenings that preceeded the most significant event in the Christian history: The sacrifice on the cross. Then we acknowledge His agony as He puts His life down to give us back ours.

Like the verse above says: He was numbered with the transgressors...even though He was without sin, He carried ours onto His shoulders and paid the price.

25He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification. Romans 4:25

The readings of Holy Week in the Coptic church and especially the readings for today seem so timely and relevant at this particular time...as if it's God's way of showing us that He is there, His word is there and we are not alone.

The readings tell us of Jesus' teachings to His disciples before the crucifixion. This is the message He left with them to give them strength and comfort before He leaves them to carry out te sacrifice:

33Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.


35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
John 14:33-35

And John 16 is also a favorite of mine and features in the Holy Week prayers quite a lot. The very last verse of that chapter couldn't be more relvenat right now:

33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.


We thank you Lord for your infinite love and your sacrifice for our sake. The world may refuse us for your sake, but if God is with us, who is against us?

4 Comments:

Blogger change destiny said...

God bless his soul . God bless you . God bless Egypt .

I wanted to arrange a visit to the church but my friends told me the officers wont let us in .

أبريل ٢٢, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger Bent El Neel said...

Thanks for your kind comment and your sentiment :D

I'm very sorry to hear this though. The house of God should be open to all and nobody should be turned away.

When I was little, i remember my family's Muslim friends coming to our weddings and funerals...what's happening to us?

أبريل ٢٣, ٢٠٠٦  
Anonymous غير معرف said...

bent el neel,

Thank you for your inspiring words. My favorite salvation verse is this:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

أبريل ٢٧, ٢٠٠٦  
Blogger Bent El Neel said...

welcome Anonymous. There's just sooo many beautiful and inspiring words in the Holy Bible, and in the Christian tradition in general.

No matter who you are or where your life takes you, there's always something in there that tells you, you are loved and you are not alone. There's reassurance of the profound love God has for all of us.

Thanx for your contribution and hope to hear from you again :)

God Bless

أبريل ٢٧, ٢٠٠٦  

إرسال تعليق

<< Home